IDI offers a variety of off-the-shelf spring contact probes and has even more "custom" probes designed specifically for our customers' connector applications. Design flexibility of IDI spring probe connectors starts with the probe.
Spring contact probes offer design flexibility in all aspects of design:
- Pitch - Center to center mounting of .010" (0.25mm) and above.
- Tip Geometry - The contact tip is designed to provide the most reliable connection for the given application. Tip geometries range from radius tips to more aggressive penetrating spear tips, and many other geometries in between.
- Spring Force - The spring force can vary from under an ounce to several ounces.
- Overall Length and Compliance - The overall length of the probe and the compliance or travel are interrelated. In a longer probe design, more compliance is possible. The overall length of
the probe can be less than .130" (3.3mm) with .015" (0.38mm) travel or greater than 1.500" (38.1mm) with .400" (10.16mm) travel.
- Materials and Platings - IDI has a wide variety of materials and platings we utilize for our spring contact probes depending on the application.
Connector designs also offer a variety of design options:
- Impedance Controlled through coaxial probe design or through field array population pattern.
- High Bandwidths through short signal paths or impedance controlled designs.
- Mounting Options:
- Surface Mount - The probe barrel can be designed to easily accommodated surface mount applications.
- Thru Hole Mount - A flange can be placed in virtually any location of the probe barrel for thru hole mount or we can design a probe with a tail.
- Wired or Cabled - The probe barrel can be designed in a number of methods to accommodate wire or cable attachment - either done by IDI or at your facility.